top of page




This Corps was formed 8 Jun 1912, and was known as The University of Toronto Schools Cadet Corps, sponsored by Board of Governors. In 1942, the corps was affiliated with the 4th (R) Medium Brigade R.C.A., and in Oct 12, 1943 with the 7th (R) Toronto Group R.C.A. affil.: HQ RCA 2nd Armd Div. On Nov 10, 1951, they became affiliated with the 29th Field Artillery Regt (SP). Effective 8 Nov 1972, Corps redesignated Queen's York Rangers Cadet Corps. A message, Cdts 784, 1 Nov 1972 requests authority to affiliate with and be sponsored by Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment).

#337 University of Toronto Schools Cadet Corps

The University of Toronto Schools Cadet Corps was organized June 8, 1912, with the official number #337. The Chief Instructor was Capt (later Lt.-Col) G.A. Cline. The first public appearance of the corps was in 1913 when it formed part of an honour guard for Prime Minister Robert Borden.

At first the unit was affiliated with the Royal Canadian Engineers and military engineering was one of the subjects on the training syllabus. During World War II the affiliation was changed to the 29th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery.

The 1960' s brought a new look to the corp. In 1964, the 29th Field Regiment was disbanded and UTS found itself without affiliation. Also, due to the loss of drill facilities at the University Armories and the increased athletic programme at the school, it was decided to make the Cadet Corps a voluntary activity. In the fall of 1965, 116 Cadets enrolled, making the corps the largest single school activity. It continued to represent the school as a body, carrying on a proud tradition, with specialist activities running in signals, rifle and Precision Squad.

A new affiliation -- the Toronto Signals Regiment -- was found, and with their help, the activity continues all year long and three platoons parade each spring on the cement floor of Varsity Stadium.

The corps has a fine record of achievement at annual inspection. At the first inspection, in 1913, the corps was pronounced "efficient" by the inspecting officer, and a high standard has been maintained since. The continued maintenance of that standard depends largely on the quality of leadership displayed by the officers, warrant officers and non-commissioned officers of the corps.

#337 UTS Cadet Corps is one of the few in Canada that has had a continuous history since its organization. It is a history to be proud of. In both World Wars a large number of cadets enlisted in the armed services and many of these won decorations for gallantry. The names of those who gave their lives are inscribed on the bronze tablets at the front door of the school. With a continuous history, and a history of service, learning, and valuable contributions to its country, the UTS Cadet Corps now continues on as a volunteer establishment, under Major S.H. Bull. It is one of the few Cadet Corps left in the Toronto area, and, with the leadership, mutual cooperation and responsibility at UTS.


In the early 1972 due to limited space at University of Toronto Schools, 337 Army Cadet moved to Fort York Armouries and changed affiliation to the Queen's York Rangers 1st Americans   

The Cadet Corps History with Photos dating back to 1912 


Annual Regimental Milestones

  • March 23rd

    • The Regiment is founded in 1756

    • Major-General William Shirley, Commander of British Forces in North America summons Robert Rogers to his Boston Headquarters and bestows a commission to raise and command an “Independent Company of Rangers” thus marking what would become The Queen’s York Rangers.


  • September 11th

    • The Battle of Brandywine 1777

    • Observed yearly by the Regimental Family, most recently with a special parade and ball at Historic Fort York in Toronto – the Regiment commemorates the Battle of Brandywine that took place on September 11, 1777. The battle took place during the Philadelphia Campaign, and saw The Queen’s Rangers play a decisive role. Forming the advance guard of von Knyphausen’s Division, the Rangers distinguished themselves in an exceptionally ferocious battle. Regimental casualties included two – thirds of the officers, and approximately one – third of the other ranks.

    • “The Commander – in – Chief desires to convey to the officers and men of The Queen’s Rangers his approbation and acknowledgement of their spirited and gallant conduct in the engagement of the 11th instant, and to assure them how well he is satisfied with their distinguished conduct on that day. His Excellency only regrets their having suffered so much in the gallant execution of their duty.”

    • - General Sir William Howe, Commander – in – Chief of British Forces in North America, General Orders of 13 September 1777.

    • “I must be silent as to the behaviour of the Rangers, for I want even words to express my own astonishment to give an idea of it”

    • - Lieutenant – General Wilhelm von Knyphausen, Divisional Commander.


Annual Regimental Events

  • Exercise Rogers' Challenge

  • To commemorate the soldiering prowess and spirit of their founder, Major Robert Rogers, (d. 18 May 1795), the Rangers hold an annual event called Exercise Roger's Challenge. This competition within the Cadet Corps echoes back to the days when Roger's Rangers would scout over vast distances in hostile terrain, and have to be prepared at all times for battle.


  • Teams compete for time and points, navigating from point to point cross country, carrying full packs. At each point, the team is confronted with a problem to solve - which may be a physical, mental or tactical challenge. The competition lasts over 24 hours of continuous activity, and the overall distance is unknown to the competitors until they have completed the course - but is generally between 20 and 30 kilometres. This makes Exercise Rogers' Challenge as much a mental challenge as a physical one.


  • First Weekend of August

    • Simcoe Day

    • Named for our past Commanding Officer and first Lieutenant - Governor of Upper Canada.



  • Guidon

    • After being designated as an Armoured Unit in 1947, The Queen’s York Rangers still retained their infantry colours until 1984. As part of Toronto’s 150th Anniversary, HM The Queen presented the regiment with a guidon, the symbol of a cavalry unit. Selected battle honours from the North West Rebellion and World War One are emblazoned on it, along with other symbols of the Regiment.


  • In 1974, another set of colours made its way home to the Regiment. Those were the original colours of The Queen’s Rangers. The colours were smuggled out of Yorktown following the surrender of British forces in North America. They made their way to the Simcoe estate in England, where they hung in the entrance hall for 140 years before their re - discovery in 1900. Subsequently returned to Canada and painstaking preserved by the ROM, these colours now reside for safekeeping seen in the Officer’s Mess at Fort York Armoury. One of the Regiment’s most cherished possessions, they are believed to be the oldest military colours in North America.



  • Crest

    • The lineage of The Queen’s York Rangers dates back through several hundred years of predecessor units. This lineage was recognized in 1927 when HM King George V restored the title previously used by the Regiment: The Queen’s Rangers (1st American Regiment), as well as the original badge bestowed in 1779 by King George III. The Regimental cap badge incorporates a crown representing service to the sovereign, surmounting the shield of defence, surrounded by the wreath of unity. The wreath is composed of roses, shamrocks and thistles, which was to recognize the English, Irish and Scottish of the original Queen’s Rangers.



  • The Crescent Moon

    • During the American Revolution, and later during service in Upper Canada, Rangers wore on their headdress a crescent moon, symbol of Diana, Roman goddess of the hunt. As a reminder of this, the symbol is emblazoned on the Regimental guidon. The crescent moon has taken on a mythology of its own among members of the Regiment, and remains a popular unofficial symbol to this day. It is often found sewn discreetly to the back of bush hats, or perhaps more recently attached with velcro to body armour. Rumour has it the Ranger crescent has been spotted (or, ideally, not spotted) as far afield as Bosnia, Afghanistan, Cyprus, and many other places in between.



  • “Pristinae Virtutis Memor”

    • Translation: “Mindful of our ancient valour”

    • Adopted from The Queen’s Regiment of the British Army (amalgamated into The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment in 1992), to which it was granted for meritorious service at Tongres in 1702.


  • “Celer et Audax”

    • Translation: “Swift and Bold”

    • The Rangers also honour their roots in the 12th York Rangers with their motto Celer et Audax – Swift and Bold. Originally used by the 60th of Foot (Royal American Regiment) raised in 1760.



  • “Braganza”

  • This march has a long and winding story dating to the formation of The Queen’s Regiment in 1661. In that year The Queen’s Regiment was dispatched by Charles II to garrison Tangier, which formed part of the dowry of his Queen Consort, Catherine of Braganza, who was of Portuguese ancestry.

From 1837 to 1881 the Regiment marched past to a tune known as “The Old Queen’s” in which the British National Anthem is embodied. In 1881, at a Review held near Aldershot, England before Queen Victoria and the Duke of Cambridge, “The Old Queen’s” was played as the 1st Battalion marched past. Her Majesty enquired whether special permission had been given for the use of the National Anthem, saying that unless it had, the practice must cease.

After reaching out to the Portuguese Royal Family following the logical line of association, an ancient Portuguese air was repurposed, and in 1903 ‘Braganza’ was adopted. As an Allied Regiment, The Queen’s York Rangers were granted permission to adopt the march in the 1920s.


Drawing of Military Parade in front of the University of Toronto
Capt G.A. Cline
The Queen's York Rangers Crest
The Crescent Moon
bottom of page